To the modernists and to the saviors of Indian culture..

Let me get this straight
  1. I do not like pub culture.
  2. I do not like what sri ram sene did.
These are two independent statements, But reading the newspapers and following the electronic media. It seems, that one can either be someone who loves going to pub or someone who endorses what sri ram sene did.

Now, let me explain the first two sentences.
I said, i do not like pub culture. I believe, this is entirely my own choice and i do not have to clarify my stand to anyone fearing that i would be labeled as a fundamentalist. But since i am in mood of explaining my stand, i will explain :)
When i said i do not like 'pub culture' I do not mean that i hate everything about the existence of pubs. Though i am not a pub going person, i have had a few visits to pubs. And in one of those very few visits, i figured out that i will not enjoy my pub visits. This is purely a matter of choice, isn't it.

There is very little to enjoy in a pub if you are a teetotaler like me. However i do believe that if you are part of a group where everybody else is drinking except you; you will probably enjoy the most. Simply because of the fact, that most of your friends assume the role of an entertainer / philosopher / comedian, when they are drunk. You can simply take a back seat and enjoy the show. But i don't see these 'shows' in pubs, may be because everybody is lost in the crowd. What i see is; drunk people misbehaving with staff, a girl in the dance floor surrounded by 10 guys trying to take advantage of her {I am not gender biased, but i have never seen a guy in the dance floor surrounded by >1 girls trying to take advantage of him} and most of the male crowd ogling at the female in the closest vicinity {Again, i am not gender biased}.

And then i said i do not like what sri ram sene did, which i think is self explanatory. They are wrong, and they should be punished for what they did.

I think, the seeds of culture lie in our households. If we want to call ourselves liberal, we should embrace the 'modern' thoughts. Being modern is much more than having high cost of living and speaking pseudo english. Similarly, If you claim to be the saviors of indian culture, fight your battle against dowry, child marriages and caste system. Leave the youngsters alone, who are mature enough to decide how they want to spend their evenings.

And i pray for the day, when our media becomes mature and liberal in thoughts. At the moment they are just concerned about TRPs, see this if you don't believe me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a topic that most of us know what to say, but don't really care when it comes something to do about. nice to see someone atleast wrote about it :)